Friday, December 26, 2008

Diary of an OB - LT

Ok lets talk about food. Aside from the fact that my room is not actually very stereotypical of the demographics of the neighbourhood, the quality of living here is very enjoyable and multicultural. You have the random ex-pats who are actually ex-pats to add that twist of culture, you have the residential mixed with the small local shops that gives it that bit of homeliness and originality and you have the semi-convenient transportation network.

Today, I decided to try out a few restaurants around my place, (just like taste testing Anzac Parade at UNSW) and to my suprise, its semi decent. I say semi because the first two restaurants I tried had their mega downfalls. For example, Cafe "A" had alright congee, but too steep a price, Cafe "B" had better priced congee but laced with what I suspect to be MSG. DPD (Dai Pai Dong) "A" had good BBQ Pork Rice but it had the most seediest environment that would turn your stomach.

This leaves the Shanghai Restaurant which I must say I WILL GO BACK TO ZOMG. So when people do come, I think I'll take you out to this one because I think it has rather homely style dumplings and awesome shanghainese noodles. To top it off, it has the best chilli sauce EVERRRRRR. This restaurant left a rather good impression, except for the mandatory service fee charge so I didn't bother to tip them with my satisfaction. I deduced it must have been good because the first night I discovered it, there were a few people reading its public menu (even though its in a secluded side street) and it had newspaper clippings of what I presume to be an editorial on its overall package. But all in all, very pleasing!

No comments: