Friday, January 9, 2009

Diary of an OB - LT

Ok so work has been increasing steadily. It must be that January is an unexplained phenomena where all OBs randomly get more work to do. I shall dub this the OB January effect and is not to be mistaken with the small-firms-in-January effect.

So where does this place me in terms of the OB ladder? Yes, I too had almost thought I had forsaken this...

Well, to be honest, it is hard to gauge where I stand. Have I gained the trust of this tribe to safely say I am climbing up a few rungs? Or is it just convenient to have this spare wheel connected to the end where you can safely dump all your excess baggage when the going gets tough?

Either way, I'm not complaining. To be used is not such a bad feeling after a month of inactivity. But I suppose there is a limit to everything and that if I'm swamped with work then I'll lose my mind and demand to HR that I want to be paid for this. Fortunately, I have not signed another contract yet, but something tells me if I were to take an extreme measure as such, I would get shot down in the instant. I'm treading on thin ice here just entertaining this idea. You know, the thought police might come after me..

Ok so this wasn't the purpose of this post. This post is to officially declare that I will now adopt the Hong Kong way of working. It is not as hardworking as you may first think. In fact, it's far from and that is why they work late.

Lawrence's Theory: HK workers are actually procrastinating kings/queens.

Why? This is what I have observed of an average joe worker:

9-11: Yawns I am so le tired, lets go surf some net and do whimsical things while I wake up. Hmm I should make myself a hot drink

11-12: Hrm, ok. Let's do some work. Ah emails...

12-1: Winz, lunch coming up, lets go surf that net again

1-2:15: Lulz, just came back late from lunch but o wellz - how satisfying was that?!

2:15-3: O man, so tired...foood coma...must go make drink and checks emails....

3-5: Intermittent work, and exploration on the big wide web

5-6: Ah crap, its almost home time and I haven't done anything. O nos! What to do!? O yea that guy over there, he can do some of my work. Superlolz. Winz. Ok yay, less to do. But I'll have to stay back a bit. Hrm thats ok, I'll look like a hero and skip traffic. I am zeeeee bomb.


Having said that, I am now going to try my hand at adopting this attitude. O man, I hope this doesn't rub off and become habit.

No comments: