Monday, December 15, 2008

Diary of an Ex-Pat - LT

Whilst I shall just quickly say that it was a great privilege and experience for a mere OB to attend a Christmas Party, to which I might add that I had mega deja vu about, the crux of this post is about a solitary OB surviving on staples in a foreign land.

For the past week, I have stashed away countless amounts of cup noodles. Given the freedom to choose whatever the hell I wanted, I went nuts and chose one of every flavour and kind that I would eat. It has now been a week, and I am down to my last cup. And boy am I sick of cup noodles. In fact, I'm sick. Full stop. There is only so much a lowly OB's stomach can take until it says "please sir, can I have non-processed food". On a fateful Sunday morning, my stomach made its final push, the campaign to raise awareness of the dangerously low nutrition levels in my body. Vommitting was actually quite slow and painful and I knew, lurched over the toilet bowl, that this lifestyle totally sucked. Continual DGL totally sucks. Hong Kong seems to have a sucky food network built upon franchise and fast food. How does the OB counter?

Well I go onto some next level stuff. With the constraint of minimal washing (if any) I have now graduated from cup noodles onto making sandwiches with wholemeal grain wheat bread. Well that's the plan. That way, I don't really feel like I'm eating fast food thats been processed and the likes and this way I might be able to refresh my appetite. So the canape training I underwent earlier before I left on my spiritual journey shall come in handy. Lucky I signed up for canape training. Another thing about living by one self is I think I have reached my limit for cleanliness. At first I thought being a guy and all that I would have a limitless tolerance to mess and the likes, but with the lack of carpet etc, and the collection of dust, I discovered that there is a point where I too feel like its time to clean. Having never really attempted to clean in my life, this will be a steep learning curve. In fact too steep. In fact, I wish my Mum was here or like I had a helper in the house (HK-ers will understand what I mean). However, shame on those HK-ers that use and abuse maids and treat them non humanely. But I did funnily come across a story where apparently this is the best job on earth because they do easy chores and get paid alright for it and then go back to their homeland and live like Queens. So...yes, the main point of the story is, the OB has rejected processed food, but as an afterthought, I might want to test myself out again and just have trashy foods for the heck of it until I next vommit.

No comments: